Sunday, December 6, 2009

Earthen Jug Oil on Canvas 16x20




Today is probably a good time to answer an email and also consider compositions-what to consider when you view a painting. 
Firstly I have not had formal painting instruction as in either a fine arts major or college classes. Rather my instruction has consisted of classes at a local community art center (McCord House) with a wonderful teacher and painter (Liz Wall).
This painting has only several merits-the brown jug is clearly earthen and exudes a mass and density to it.  The lighting on the jug and the cork are good. But the rest of the pieces fail to interact-there is a lack of unity. Your eye is unsure as to where to rest-do I stay on the jug, but the bright vase draws me there, and then the orange and perhaps the flowers.  This painting fails to pull you in and keep you there.  This painting serves as a reminder that not everything one paints is good, but it always offers an opportunity to learn. It will be painted over the next time I decide to use a dark background in that size canvas- unless a reader really likes it and would like to email me with an offer with a deal to be had.

No comments:

Post a Comment