Tuesday, April 13, 2010

After the Storm- Mountain oil on canvas board 8x10 $125


       In this painting, done only with brush-in contrast to most of my paintings, was done with a simplified palette. I thought that I would go back and use only three colors, french ultramarine (my blue), cadmium red hue (red obviously) and cadmium yellow hue with white. Typically my palette might have 8 or 9 different colors scattered along my edges with various blues, reds, a violet, several hues of yellow/ochre. The simplification of the palette often results in a painting that has a more unified color scheme, but often with the challenge of trying to find the right color that one desires. I think it worked very well here-the haze over the mountain peaks with the brighter blue suggests a better day. The oranges and golds of the fall meadow grab the eye and drive them to the peaks.

No comments:

Post a Comment