Saturday, February 13, 2010

Don't Leave Me! (underpainting) oil on canvas 11x14


  This painting is the third step in the painting (at least for me). It begins with a very loose painted sketch-appropriate scale and the 'setting' of the major elements of the composition. Obviously the central figure is our little man imploring his mother not to leave him. The second step is the value composition-where lights and darks are established. Previously I have shown the value painting. This third step I have not posted before. Here the major colors are established while maintaining the values (light and darks). The paint here is applied very thin-it dries quickly, but more importantly, it allows me to change the colors and makes adjustments without getting a muddy color. Also the light underpainting means with the final application of paint I have the luxury of applying thick or thin. You will find in my next posting that changes were made.

No comments:

Post a Comment